Thursday, January 30, 2014

Virgins on Campus by: Dominique Cotton


There are no virgins on college campuses, “I thought I was the only one; I was embarrassed about it”.[2] “I don’t think there are as many virgins as there are sexually active people.”[3] I believe there is a small amount on campus. “Get rid of the mind set that you're the only virgin in college, you're not."4]
When I first started college in the summer prior to my first fall semester I knew I was going to meet new friends and for some odd reason I thought they were going to pressure me into having sex, but clearly I watch TV to much! What I did notice is that majority of the population partakes in sexual activity and encourage you not too, which was shocking to me. Its like they have sex but they tell you not to do it. For example I was sitting on my bed in my dorm room with my best friend and she randomly said, “Dominique, My boyfriend and I was talking about you and I was randomly telling him how I didn’t want you to be like me. I was telling him how I wanted you to save yourself for that right person and don’t make the mistake I did by allowing people to mistreat you”.[5] This conversation came out of nowhere so I listened to her and she was basically telling me that once you start having intercourse you can not stop, which I’ve heard numerous times and I’m starting to believe it.
When the subject of sex pops up into a conversation if asked I admit that I am one of the few that are virgins. I get the “you lying” stare, because some people just do not believe that we still exist. I tend to get the how do you do it question like it is formula on how to not have sex or the infamous statement, “stay that way because once its gone you can never get it back”. I soon came to the conclusion that when talking about intercourses do not partake in it![6] “The reason is people think we are innocent and that is not the case its just I do not want to have intercourse with everybody. When my boyfriend ask me how many partners have I had I don’t want to say 35 I want to be ale to say one or you are my first because I want him to cherish and have that satisfaction.”[7] “I honestly believe that being a virgin has its ups and downs but at the end of the day I don’t want to have sex with random partners. I also feel pressured especially if I’m in a relationship and my partner had a previous one that was sexual. I get the impression that all they want to do is have sex.[8]
I think that some virgins think the same way. We don’t want to have sex or we are saving it for the right person and time. If you think about it the people that are sexually active were once virgins did they think the same way we are thinking now? How would our mindset change if we were to have sex?



[1] Blades, Lincoln. This is your Conscience, “Is being a Virgin Still Important in Relationships? A Woman’s Perspective.” Last modified 6 5, 2010. Accessed January 30,2014.
[2]  Self, Bria. Interview by Dominique Cotton. Personal Interview. Charlotte, January 15, 2014
[3] Holden, Keona. Interview by Dominique Cotton. Personal Interview. Charlotte, January 15, 2014
[4] Wygant, David. College news, "So, you're the only virgin on campus. "Last modifies 10 22, 2010. Accessed January 30, 2014.

[5] Brown, Miranda. Interview by Dominique Cotton. Personal Interview. Charlotte, January 15, 2014
[6] Wygant, David. College news, "So, you're the only virgin on campus. "Last modifies 10 22, 2010. Accessed January 30, 2014. 
[7] Holden, Keona. Interview by Dominique Cotton. Personal Interview. Charlotte, January 15, 2014
[8] Self, Bria. Interview by Dominique Cotton. Personal Interview. Charlotte, January 15, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment